Protection Dog Training
PERSONAL, HOME, AND PROFESSIONAL PROTECTION DOG TRAINING
We are excited to provide protection dog training in addition to basic dog obedience training. Any dog can be trained for obedience, however not all dogs qualify for protection dog training. The ideal dog must have the right temperament to learn when to guard, bark, or bite on command. In our training program we emphasize obedience and controlled aggression at each one of the levels of protection training we offer.
The traditional pipeline for your dog to become a personal protection starts with a basic obedience class or private lessons, an intermediate obedience class(optional), a basic obedience for the personal protection dog class, finishing with a 12 week/24 hour course.
We offer private courses for professionals who need a more customized approach in a shorter timeline. Please call for more details.
We can evaluate your dog to determine their level of courage, drive, and temperament to see if it can work as a protection dog. If your dog does not meet the requirements, we can import a dog for you that is partially or fully trained. If you would like a locally bred puppy to train into protection work, we have litters once a year or we can give you the contact information of local breeders who can provide you with working dogs or puppies.
TYPICALLY PROTECTION DOGS COME FROM A WORKING LINE BREED. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO:
LEVELS OF PROTECTION TRAINING WE OFFER
BASIC OBEDIENCE FOR THE PERSONAL PROTECTION DOG
Controlled Aggression Through Obedience.
The Basic Obedience for the Protection Dog class will teach you how to build drive for the tug, how to properly play tug, how to mark and reward with the tug, obedience(sit, down, heel, recall) with the tug, and basic agitation for a bite sleeve or bite pillow. Part of the full Personal Protection Dog course includes passing a strict set of obedience commands that include on and off leash control while heeling at slow, medium, and a fast pace. The Basic Obedience class will get you ready for this portion of the Personal Protection Dog certification process.
The class is 8 weeks long for an hour each class.
This class is the prerequisite for the Personal Protection Dog course. If you can pass the obedience evaluation portion of the Personal Protection Dog course, this class may be waived if you dog also displays the proper drives.
Required equipment: A jute/synthetic tug toy or ball on a rope. A 6 foot or longer leash and a harness.
Obedience requirements before the class:
- Sit and stay and the end of your line for a duration longer than 30 seconds.
- Down and stay at the end of your line for a duration longer than 30 seconds.
- The dog must understand the basic heel position.
- A basic understanding of the on leash recall.
Personal Protection Dog Course
12 Week Course – 24+ Hours of Training
- Each team will be required to pass a minimum standard similar to the standards most states have for Police K9’s.
- The minimum standard includes a recall, call-off, handler protection, and basic obedience movements on and off leash at a slow, medium, and fast pace.
- Each class will build the proper drives while emphasizing obedience. In order for you to be successful away from the training field we will train in various environments such as open fields, parks, industrial areas, commercial spaces, and residences.
There are two pre-requisites to enter a personal protection dog course.
- You’ll either have to complete the 6 week Basic Obedience Class for the Protection dog, or
- pass an evaluation to help determine if the dog has the right amount of obedience before starting the class.
Please call or email to learn more about the Personal Protection Dog Course.